Installing NordVPN on your Amazon Fire Stick is easy. NordVPN is a great option to bypass geo-restrictions and mitigate bandwidth throttling issues.
And with its flexible settings, you can adapt the NordVPN app to your online activities. Read below for a full guide on how to install the NordVPN app on your Fire Stick.
Before We Get Started
Before installing the NordVPN app, you need to determine which version of Fire Stick you have. The NordVPN app can only be installed on the 2nd generation and the 4K Fire Sticks.
Have a look at our Does NordVPN work on an Amazon Fire Stick? article for more information on identifying your version of Fire Stick.
To use the NordVPN app, you’ll need an account. Head over to the NordVPN website to create an account. They have different price plans, which all come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. So no need to worry!
Downloading and Installing the App
We’ll now go ahead and download the NordVPN app. This process is quite simple, as all we need to do is download the NordVPN app from the Amazon Appstore. NordVPN recently released an official Fire TV app to the Amazon Appstore.
1. From the Fire Stick Home screen, navigate the top row of options, and select the magnifying glass. The magnifying glass is at the top left of the screen. The search field is displayed.
2. Type NordVPN. NordVPN should appear at the top of the search results.
3. Select NordVPN. You are taken to the app details screen.
4. Select the Get button. Your download starts. Once the download has finished, the Get button becomes an Open button.
5. Select the Open button. The NordVPN app launches.
The Nord VPN app appears in the Recent Apps listing on the Home screen. It can also be found in the My Apps listing on the Home screen.Start streaming with NordVPN now! 70% Off.
Configuring the NordVPN App
When you launch the NordVPN app for the first time, it will take a few seconds to initialize. After that you will be in the NordVPN Home screen.
The first thing to do is to either Sign Up or Log In. If you don’t already have a NordVPN account, you can sign-up from the app. You will be prompted to enter a valid email address and password. Then, you will be asked to select a plan. The process takes only a few minutes.
Once you've created your account or if you already have a NordVPN account, go ahead and sign-in.
The application is organized into four sections, which you access on the left side of the app. Each of these sections corresponds to a row on the right side of the app. Let’s take a quick look at them.
This is where you either sign-in or sign-up. Enter your credentials or create your account here.
This is where all the locations of the NordVPN servers are listed. From here, you can choose the specific VPN server you want to connect to. NordVPN has 5608 different servers in 59 countries.
This is where, as the name suggests, you can select a VPN server for a specific purpose. NordVPN offers the following types of specialty servers:
- P2P Servers
- Obfuscated Servers
- Dedicated IP Servers
- Onion Over VPN Servers
- Double VPN
Your ISP can sometimes block or throttle P2P sharing. And it may be riskier in certain countries. This is why NordVPN offers dedicated servers for P2P sharing. As with all NordVPN servers, there are no bandwidth limits and no traffic logs.
Obfuscated servers are designed for people in countries where Internet access is restricted. Obfuscated servers help to circumvent these restrictions. If your Internet service is not restricted, these servers are not recommended.
Dedicated IP Servers
NordVPN allows you to order a dedicated IP address. This means a server with an IP that is used only by you. This can be useful if you are hosting certain services and want them to be accessible on the Internet, over a VPN.
Onion Over VPN Server
Once connected, these servers route your traffic through the Tor Anonymizing Network. Tor stands for The Onion Router. Tor encrypts and bounces your traffic over several different locations. From that last bounce, it then forwards your traffic to its ultimate destination.
This, coupled with a VPN makes it very difficult to identify and track your activities. Bear in mind that Tor can significantly slow down your Internet connection. And streaming media over Tor is generally not recommended. For more information, visit Tor’s website.
A double VPN is what its name states. Your connection bounces through two VPN servers before going to its ultimate destination. This accomplishes something similar to Tor, but with only two bounces. Its impact on the speed of your Internet connection is much smaller.
The Settings section enables you to view your subscription details. You can also send your activity logs to NordVPN, for troubleshooting purposes. There are also settings to configure within the app. Click the Settings tile to make changes.
Here you can configure the following settings:
- CyberSec: You can enable or disable CyberSec. CyberSec is a blocking service for ads and trackers. You should generally enable this. Disable this setting if you’re having trouble accessing content on your Fire Stick.
- Use TCP: VPNs usually connect using the UDP protocol. Switching to TCP can help if you’re having difficulty connecting. Switching to TCP can also help if you are having speed issues when connected to the VPN.
- Custom DNS: The NordVPN app routes all your DNS requests through their secure DNS servers. Their DNS servers have a strict no-logging policy. If you would like to use a different DNS server of your choice while using NordVPN, you can set it here. Make sure the DNS server you choose is available over the Internet.
- Help Us Improve: You can choose to send anonymous usage statistics to NordVPN. They use this information to improve their apps and services.
Connecting to a NordVPN Server
Once you’ve configured the NordVPN app to your liking and have signed-in, you simply need to connect to a VPN server.
- Go to the All Countries section of the app.
- Select a country/server. The app immediately connects you to the selected server. Your connection status is displayed at the top right of the screen.
So, we went over how to download, install and configure the NordVPN app on an Amazon Fire Stick. We also looked at how to connect to the VPN server of your choice.
All that’s left is for you to start streaming. Your online activities are more secure and you won't be bothered with geo-restrictions. Enjoy!Start streaming with NordVPN now! 70% Off.
How to Install NordVPN on an Amazon Fire Stick?
By Marc Dahan
Last updated: March 27, 2020