Installing Surfshark on your Amazon Fire Stick is easy, thanks to their native Fire TV app. One simply needs to search for it in the Amazon Appstore and install it.
The whole process simply takes a few clicks of the remote.
Installing Surfshark on your Fire Stick is a great way of bypassing geo-restrictions, as well as mitigating bandwidth throttling issues.
In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide to installing the app on your Fire Stick. And we’ll also take the time to give you an overview of the app and discuss some notable features. Read on.
Before doing anything on your Fire Stick, you should head over to their website and create an account with Surfshark.
Sign-up is simple and straightforward. You simply need to:
- Choose a subscription plan
- Create an account with a valid email address
- Select a payment method
Nothing esoteric here. But there’s another element on Surfshark’s sign-up page. For an extra 0.99 USD, you can add two security services (they are bundled together) to your Surfshark subscription:
HackLock is Surfshark’s identity security service that notifies you if your emails or passwords are detected in leaked databases.
BlindSearch is Surfshark’s private search engine that works only within the Surfshark VPN tunnel.
The search algorithms use the Bing API. The VPN server issues the request on your behalf and returns the results to you.
This way, the server acts as a search proxy for you and Bing has no way of identifying you - only the server.
You can sign-up to Surfshark without subscribing to these extra services. I just thought I'd mention it, as it stands out from other VPN offerings - in a good way.
Sign-up should only take a few minutes. And once done, we can go ahead and turn our attention to the Fire Stick.Get Surfshark for 83% off
Downloading & Installing the App
As I mentioned in the opening lines of this article, downloading and installing the Surfshark app is simply a matter of a few remote clicks. Let’s get started.
1. From the Fire Stick Home screen, navigate the top row of options and select the magnifying glass. The magnifying glass is at the top left of the screen. The search field is displayed.
2. Type Surfshark. Surfshark should appear at the top of the search results.
3. Select Surfshark. You are taken to the app details screen, which features a prominent Download button.
4. Click the Download button. Your download starts. Once the app is downloaded and installed, the Download button becomes an Open button.
5. Click the Open button. The Surfshark app launches.
The Surfshark app appears in the Recent Apps listing on the Home screen. It can also be found in the My Apps listing on the Home screen.
Configuring the Surfshark App
Upon launching the app, you’re presented with the login page.
Once logged in, you’re taken to the application’s main page.
The application is organized into three sections, which you access on the left side of the app. Each of these sections corresponds to a row on the right side of the app.
Here, you can choose to quickly connect to a VPN server. This will connect you to the fastest VPN server currently available on the Surfshark network.
Or you can choose to search for a specific server, by clicking the Search tile and searching for the city/country of your choice.
This is where all the locations of the Surfshark servers are listed. You can scroll through the list and choose the specific VPN server you want to connect to from here.
Surfshark has more than 1040 different servers in over 61 countries.
The Settings row gives you access to the app settings tile as well as the Diagnostics tile.
From the Diagnostics tile, you can view and send diagnostic information to Surfshark for troubleshooting purposes, if you choose to.
The Settings tile enables you to set certain parameters within the app. It also displays your account information: your email address, your subscription information, and the app version.
Let’s take a look at the options available in the Settings tile.
- CleanWeb: CleanWeb is a blocking service for ads and trackers, which you can enable or disable from here. You should generally enable this. Disable this setting if you’re having trouble accessing content on your Fire Stick.
- Analytics: You can choose to send anonymous app usage data to Surfshark if you like.
- Crash Tracking: As above, you can choose to send anonymous crash data to Surfshark.
- Auto-connect: You can select a VPN server and enable auto-connect from here. Once enabled, a connection to the selected server is started automatically when you boot-up your Fire Stick.
Connecting to a Surfshark VPN Server
The Surfshark app offers three ways of connecting to a VPN server from their app.
As mentioned above, simply click the Quick Connect tile and the app will automatically connect you to the fastest available VPN server.
By clicking the Search tile, you can search for a particular country or city and connect to a server from the search results.
You can scroll through all of the available VPN servers from the All Locations row and connect to the server of your choice.
Your connection status is always displayed at the top right of the app.
The First Connection
Do note that the first time you connect to a VPN server from the Surfshark app, a connection request pops-up. You must accept the request to initiate the VPN connection.
This only occurs on the first connection. After that, you can connect to any Surfshark VPN server without having to click a pop-up notification.
We looked at downloading, installing, and configuring the Surfshark app on an Amazon Fire Stick.
We also discussed the three simple ways you can connect to a VPN server from the app.
For more information on Surfshark, visit their website.
Now go watch your favorite shows from anywhere in the world. And stay safe.Get Surfshark for 83% off
How to Install Surfshark on an Amazon Fire Stick?
By Marc Dahan
Last updated: April 27, 2020